Friday, September 25, 2009

Where have the rivalries gone?

For my entire adult life, I have maintained that my two favorite sports teams (Washington Redskins and the NC State Wolfpack) had two very distinct rivals, the Dallas Cowboy and the UNC Tarheels. I have honored these rivalries by faithfully despising these two foes and ridiculing them at every opportunity. However, recent events have led me to question whether a rivalry actually exists and more importantly, whether these teams are worthy of my attention.

NC State - University of North Carolina

Tobacco road is filled with the detritus from the hate and discontent that existed between these two universities. When I was a student and NC State in the 1980's, there was little doubt who our rival was. UNC was simply the most despised entity to ever compete in the ACC. I have maintained this stance in the intervening 25 years, but now I wonder if it's valid. At a televised basketball game in February of this year, several of the UNC faithful were wearing shirts emblazoned with the words "NC State is not our rival". I even made mention of this slogan in a blog entry earlier this year. Since then, I have discussed this point with UNC faithful and they clearly feel that their true rival is Duke rather than the Wolfpack.

Washington Redskins - Dallas Cowboys

I have always felt that this was the greatest rivalry in the NFL as it represented a real-world Cowboys and Indians conflict. What could be better than that? During the glory days of the 1980's Redskins fans could be heard chanting "We want Dallas" because a Redskins drive to the Superbowl wasn't really valid unless it steamrolled through Dallas. This sentiment was recently struck a heavy blow when the Cowboys opened their new stadium. It seemed that the Cowboys wanted to make a splash with a big game and they petitioned the NFL for a date with the NY Giants. The Giants? Are they serious? Several interviews with the Cowboys players revealed that they hate the Giants more then anybody else. Guess what? Your most hated team is your rival. The fact that the 'Boys invited NY instead of Washington speaks volumes.

I strongly believe that the players, students, and Alumni decide who their rivals are; not the media, and certainly not the past. That said, from this day forward, the UNC Tarheels and the Dallas Cowboys are no longer worthy of my attention. I will repay their indifference to my teams with my own. From this point forward, I will no longer concern myself with the outcome of a contest between these teams. It's now just another game. Time seems to have played out the importance of these games and I will follow suit. Screw 'em.

No comments: