Saturday, September 19, 2009

2009 Brentsville Relays

Today, Austin competed in the Brentsville Cross-Country Relays held at the High School. There were 40 high schools represented today and while that may sound like a lot, it has been downsized from the 75 teams that arrived last year. The town of Nokesville simply could not handle the volume.

The format is a 2.5K (1.5 Mile) course that would its way around the school grounds. The Varsity and JV runners compete in a 5 runner, 5 lap relay race. Austin's team competed in one of two 'Extras" race for the developing runners. Austin ran well and finished the course in 10min10sec.

I wanted to get a feel for the course, so I competed in the parents/coach "Open". It's the first time that I have really felt old as the course was very difficult to run at speed, even my speed. I ran with a friend/neighbor, Chris, who despite running a half marathon this morning, was still forced to wait up for me. If that wasn't enough, I completed the single lap in 12min52sec. That's nearly 3 minutes slower than my son. The only good news was I did not finish last.

Kara also ran in the Middle School race.

Austin may have found his "thing". He loved the event and had made lofty goals to get faster and move up the runner's hierarchy. He told Tracy this evening that he "loved" running.

Meanwhile, Austin has fully recovered ... and I haven't.


Pictures





No comments: