Monday, December 08, 2008

A New Chapter

One the traits that Lumbee Indians share with our Native brethren is the respect and honor we bestow on our Elders. Because of this, I have had the unique opportunity in my life to spend considerable time talking to people far older than me. The impression I am left with is only correlated with various written interviews with other elder men and women. This impression, to put a name to it, is that we get older in a physical sense only. As we age, we feel the effects of our physical lives somewhat more, we realize that our bodies have aged and we are far more slowly to heal than we were on our younger days. This is normal. What I am talking about here is the glacial changes we discover in our minds. All the discussions I have had with Elders is that we can perceive little change in our minds. We don't "feel" any different at 80 than we did at 20, insofar as our self identity is concerned. We age physically, but our inner selves seem to stay effectively the same.

Why the long explanation here? My point is that I don't necessarily feel any older than I did at 20 than I do now, but occasionally things conspire to force the reality of my 43 years squarely to the forefront. Yesterday, two of these "things" just happened to occur on the same day when I was able to share in two seminal events in Kellie's life. On this unusual day, I was granted the opportunity to ride in a vehicle, operating on public roads mind you, that was driven by my 16- year daughter. Later that evening, I was on hand to witness her hard at work on her first job.

This brings me squarely back to my point. How did this happen? One day I am buying half a pizza in Metcalf Hall, a Wednesday night ritual during my college days, and the next I am sitting in a new Pizza restaurant in Gainesville, VA watching my oldest daughter run credit cards in a restaurant. I don't feel like a different person, but the circumstances are worlds apart.

Lest we think this post is about me, the real story here is that Kellie now has a Learner's Permit and a job, two life-changing events that are enabled with the passing of her 16th birthday.

No comments: