Saturday, May 17, 2008

First ride of the year

Today I took the R1 out for my first ride of the year. This is an event two weeks in the making because 14 days ago I geared up only to discover that the battery was dead and the bike was going nowhere. The good news was that it wasn't completely dead and was on the verge of turning over. 24 hours on the Battery Tender and all was well. Regrettably, I did not connect the Yamaha to it all winter and almost paid the price. Using a battery tender is a little tip I got from my dad and if you have a bike, you will need one of these things, especially if you have a small battery like the weight-conscious sport bikes do. I waited until the next weekend, but it rained so much last weekend that nothing was done, much less a little riding.

I needed a haircut and riding to the barber shop was a good excuse to get on the road. I got my haircut and headed out west. I rode for a good two hours and while my forearms need a little conditioning, all was well. I took it easy and never went into triple digits. This is a good time to ride through the Virginia countryside because it still isn't scorching hot and the scenery looks great. The new tires presented no problems and seemed to grip well enough. I will head out to the mountains on my next ride to see what the Michelins can do.

I also plan to wash and wax it at my first opportunity and take some pictures with the new camera. Look for them soon.

No comments: