Sunday, April 13, 2008

Surprise, Surprise

One of life's maxims is that your children will both disappoint you and amaze you at some time in their life. Today was one of the amazing moments. Kara was a participant in the Manassas St. Thomas children's program today. We had heard her lines and taken her to practice but did not get a chance to really hear her performance until she did it live.

The program was part of two of the periods of worship and Tracy took her early in the morning while I followed with Kellie and Austin for the later sermon. All week long Kara had told us that she was very nervous about getting up in front of the entire church, and truth be told, I could tell that she was fidgeting while she waited for her lines.

When she did speak, I was very pleasantly surprised by what happened, or rather what didn't happen. I am amazed by the fact that you can hear someone speak every day, and that familiarity does not prepare you for what comes out of a microphone. When Kara delivered her lines, it seemed at first that someone else was talking. She was still obviously nervous as revealed by her body language, but the voice betrayed nothing. What I heard did not sound like Kara, and I think I just had a glimpse of what she will sound like as a young woman. I heard a stunningly controlled clear voice that belied her ten years. She made no mistakes and it was clear that the longest monologue was given to the ablest candidate. In short, I was blown away by the performance.

I am not a good public speaker, but in my long life I have heard people who are. Today, I saw just such a budding talent in Kara. I was not the only one to notice. At brunch after the service, Mr. Ron told Kara that she had a career in politics ahead of her.

That career prospect aside, I was very proud of my daughter today. It is a good day all around when one of your own exceeds expectations.

No comments: