Monday, March 31, 2008

Driver's Education

I just had an uncomfortable experience this evening. I attended the mandatory driver's education parent information meeting. This is a prerequisite for all student who plan to enter the Virginia Schools driver education course. Kellie is not due to attend this class until next semester in the fall, but the time for my orientation was tonight.

This entire experience brings a single thought to mind. How is the hell did I arrive at this time in my life this fast? One day I am taking young Kellie to her first preschool class and the next I am facing a life altering event in the very near future. This event, of course, is the act of handing over the keys to one of my vehicles to one of my kids. Time is a cruel mistress.

Times have changed with regard to driver's ed. For example, the state of Virginia has a driving curfew for all drivers under the age of 18. They are restricted from carrying more than one person under the age of eighteen in the vehicle who is not a immediate family member. They cannot operate a motor vehicle while using a cell phone, regardless of whether they are using a headset. The state will issue the driver's license to the parents, who will retain the right and ability to legally revoke the license until their child turns 18. This is just what I can remember.

Needless to say, I found the entire affair somewhat disconcerting.

No comments: