Thursday, January 19, 2006

School Rezoning Update

I wrote in an earlier post that our neighborhood was scheduled to be moved from our current Elementary School. Cooler heads have prevailed and Kara will not have to change schools next year.

To make a long story short, I ended up on the planning committee itself. The latest plan pitted our neighborhood against another and I came to the meeting loaded for bear. When I arrived the entire situation was defused as a member of the Prince William County School Board sent a message to the committee that he would not support moving either of the two neighborhoods and to reconsider. As a result, our community was placed back into our current school and things went on from there.

This is such an explosive topic for us because the school we go to is absurdly close and logic dictates that moving us would be simply mad. Let me put this in perspective. If you have been to my house, you may remember the stoplight located at the entrance of my development. The school in question is less than 1,000 feet south of this stoplight. Meanwhile, the planning committee was placing other students at this school that live more than 5 miles away.

One thing I learned at the committee meeting is that PWC goes through this tortuous process every few years. The plan that we are presenting to the School Board will be in place until 2008, so Kara should be immune to any such disruption for her entire Elementary School term.

No comments: