Monday, October 24, 2005

Invasion of the flesh-eating bat

This morning, Tracy discovered that something was fluttering in our artificial Fica tree. She sent me to investigate and I discovered that a flesh-eating bat had invaded the house and was about to devour us all.

Actually, it was a bird that had somehow made its way into the house. It must have been there overnight, but we are not sure how it got in. I opened the front and back doors to entice it to leave, but it keep making short trips to the curtain rod or flower arrangement, always returning to the Fica tree. I shooed it out of the tree and it flew upstairs. Anticipating this, Tracy had secured all the upper floors doors to keep it from flying into someone's bedroom. I got the bright idea to move the Fica tree into the fornt doorway, so that when it returned to the tree, I could easily force it outdoors.

After moving the tree, I returned to the bottom of the stairs, but neither saw nor heard the intruder again. I made a lot of noise, but couldn't rouse it. The entire time I was doing this, Skeeter was lying at the top of the stairs, watching me with great interest. This will become important later.

My attempts at making the bird appear from it hiding place having failed, I then went upstairs to flush it out. Halfway up the stairs, I discovered the dead bird lying on the stairs just below where Skeeter was sitting. It had been right next to her the entire time, but failed to gain her interest. I guess she's not much of a bird dog.

I do not know how the bird met its demise, but I think that it might have run into something because its head looked somewhat deflated when I threw into the backyard.

No comments: