Monday, October 17, 2005

Went to the Neurosurgeon Today

I had my follow-up visit to the Neurosurgeon this morning and it went well. I was given a standard neurological examination and despite the objections and opinions of a few of my associates, I passed with flying colors. The entire office visit took less than five minutes.

There was one additional piece of information that I picked up during the interview. I have previously told my audience that I experienced an intracerebral hemorrhage. Since that time, I have consulted a few medical resources, most notably the Merck Manual, only to discover that most resources describe the event as a small stroke. I spoke to the doctor about this, and he reaffirmed that an intracerebral is bad news. He also told me that that wasn't what had happened to me. It seems that I relayed some incorrect information in an earlier post. What I experienced is known as an subarachnoid hemorrhage. This is bleeding outside the brain tissue as opposed to inside the brain (intracerebral). The effects are not nearly as severe as no brain tissue is destroyed. He also informed me that a "venus structure" is simply a vein, vice an arterial structure or artery.

He reiterated that it is very unlikely to reoccur, and that I am under no restrictions. If you are interested in looking into what happended, I found some good links on the subject below:

Neuroland.com
Strokecenter.org
Wikipedi.org
InteliHealth.com

No comments: